15 November 2005

Now this really BUGs me.

For many years now, I have been a fan of cashews, particularly the dry-roasted kind in vacuum sealed jars. But if I can't find those, I'll marginally settle for the salted 'greasy' cashews packed in cans.

After this morning, though, my faith in the almighty cashew has been shaken.

A few minutes ago, I opened a new jar of Kroger brand Dry Roasted Cashews, listened for the brief 'whoosh' sound after breaking the seal (ahhhhh, freshness!), and proceeded to help myself to a few of the curly nuts.

I bit into half of one ... I've no idea why I do this ... but something seemed a little weird about the overall texture of this nut. I raised the other half to take a look, and it looked as if a dead insect of some kind was harbored in the groove of the cashew's core.

Ahhhh, freshness??

It looks like a bug. It has the body style, the dark head and what looks like wings. I showed it to my station manager, who also thought it appeared to be a dead bug.

Reminds me of the old joke, "What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?" "Biting into an apple and finding half a worm."

This completely killed my appetite for cashews for the day. Tonight I'm gonna pull out the digital camera and take a picture of this nut. And tomorrow return the cotton-pickin' jar to Kroger for a refund.

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge "No more bug coffins for me today, thanks" Gleck

1 comment:

Kenneth said...

i've never liked bugs... creeps me out :)