31 December 2005

Albums I'd take with me on a three hour tour

Okay, I'm baited. I've got to chime in with my own 'desert island discs' list. And no, I will not fudge and include any box sets. Can't say I won't be tempted, tho'.....

Disclaimer: all this is null and void if my stint on said island is not shared by a Professor. I know a little bit about electronics, but I'm totally lost when faced with the task of keeping a CD player going with coconuts and bamboo after the batteries give out (something tells me I won't be seeing a pink rabbit percussionist; they aren't too good at walking on water).

1) STEELY DAN / The Royal Scam
I could go with Gold, as Nettiemac did. But I couldn't do without "Scam." The title track alone gives it the keys to my 10-disc kingdom. Runner-ups: Aja, Countdown to Ecstasy.

2) THE MOODY BLUES / To Our Children's Children's Children
I'd rather cart the entire 1968-72 output of the Magnificent Moodies with me, but that would be breaking the rules (@#$% stupid rackin-frackin' rules....). So much as I love On the Threshold of a Dream enough to bring it, I cannot do without Children's. From the intensity of "Higher and Higher" to the eternal hope of "Eternity Road" to ..... wow .... the aching, lump-in-the-throat longing of "Watching and Waiting", it's a perfect Moody Blues record. Well, maybe not perfect -- if "Have You Heard (Part I)/The Voyage/Have You Heard (Part II)" could migrate over from Threshold, I wouldn't complain a bit.

Critics might hate them as being too pretentious and full of pseudo-intellectual "recitings", but I care not. The song in my heart is forever accompanied by a mellotron.

3) RUSH / Signals
A different style than the previous Rush albums; they were exploring synthesizers and obsessions with technology -- two of the albums' cuts, after all, are "The Analog Kid" and "Digital Man." The 'hit single' from Signals was "New World Man", but I vote "Subdivisions" as my favorite track. This album was a big part of my senior year life's soundtrack.

4) DONALD FAGEN / The Nightfly
Another senior year must-have. When Fagen broke with Walt Becker after Steely Dan's last studio LP, Gaucho, he went on to put together a marvelous concept album about a kid growing up in a northeast suburb in the late '50s. "I.G.Y. (What a Beautiful World)" was the hit single from Nightfly, and got airplay late in 1982, but my favorite track -- okay, tracks -- is a tossup between "Walk Between the Raindrops" and "New Frontier." "Frontier" should've been the big hit.

5) GEORGE HARRISON / All Things Must Pass
6) NEIL YOUNG / Harvest Moon
Two albums which gave me peace during hard times in my life. Even now, with a life much more content and fulfilling than it was a decade back, I still enjoy kicking back and playing these.

7) STEVE ROACH / Quiet Music
Peaceful ambient music for the starry nights. If the radio can't pick up a station running Music From the Hearts of Space, I'll settle for this CD.

8) VAN MORRISON / His Band and the Street Choir
The voice. Say no more. The touch choice here was which Van the Man record to include. Runner-ups: Astral Weeks, Tupelo Honey, Moondance and St. Dominick's Preview.

9) MARVIN GAYE / Anthology
What's an island without a little soul? Give me his duets with the late Tammi Terrell, as well as the "Inner City Blues", "Trouble Man" and "One More Heartache."

10) HARRY CONNICK, JUNIOR / We Are In Love
As proxy for syrup of ipecac if I eat a bum coconut. Also to remind me that there are worse things than being marooned. Even if my companion, a volleyball, is 'the silent type.'

Better yet, how about a "desert island 30 GB iPod"? Please?

Ciao for niao!

--Talmadge "Now what did I do with that flare?" Gleck

2 comments:

nettiemac said...

DOH! I never even considered Nightfly..... I'm a bad girl.

bolivar said...

Yes, Nettiemac, you are a bad girl!! Some meaningless useless opinions:

1. ROYAL SCAM / Steely Dan

It would be hard to pick out just one Steely Dan album. I would probably lean more towards "Ecstasy".

2. TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN / The Moody Blues

Excellent choice. Anything from 1967-1972 is an excellent choice. Even their later stuff is pretty ace.

3. SIGNALS / Rush

I can see why this would be on your list - senior memories. "Subdivisions" is the best song on the LP, & "New World Man" is their only top-40 hit (#21). I prefer either "Moving Pictures" or "Presto".

4. THE NIGHTFLY / Donald Fagen

There is not a bad song on this album. It's just a shame that it would be another 10 years before he would put out another studio album.

5. ALL THINGS MUST PASS / George Harrison

Personal memories for me as well, Tal. By far the best post-Beatles solo album.

6. HARVEST MOON / Neil Young

Believe it or not, there was a lot of great music in the 1990s. This is in my top 5 of the best albums of the decade. The title track is one of my all-time favorite love songs. There is still a lot of life left in Mr. Young.

7. QUIET MUSIC / Steve Roach

I bought my first Steve Roach CD about a year ago, kind-of like an intro to. Very ambient, very atmospheric stuff. Very cool.

8. HIS BAND & THE STREET CHOIR / Van Morrison

Van is still the man. There will be a Van LP on my list. The choices are: "Astral Weeks", "Moondance", "His Band...", "Avalon Sunset", "Beautiful Vision", or "The Healing Game". Any one I pick - well, you can't go wrong with any of these.

9. ANTHOLOGY / Marvin Gaye

Another excellent choice. But you can not have a Marvin Gaye compilation without a little "Sexual Healing". That song always - and I mean always - sets the mood.

10. WE ARE IN LOVE / Harry Connick, Jr.

Tal, you are a very sick man. Couldn't you have put the Shaggs complete works on there? I know it's out - Terry Adams of NRBQ personally saw to its reissue in 1988. You gotta have "My Pal Foot Foot" in there somewhere.

And there you have it. Feel free to discuss.