22 December 2005

It's not whether we won or lost....

...it's that we got to play the game in the first place!

Arkansas State University played Southern Miss last night in the NEW ORLEANS BOWL (played, weirdly enough, in LaFayette, La.), but came up short ... the final score was Southern Miss 31, ASU 19.

This marked the first time the ASU Indians made it to a bowl game since Bolivar was living in a battered trailer behind the Jami-Bee Motel, and I was living on-campus in a building which we affectionately called Twin Toilets. Dunno if that referred to the smell, or the fact that at any one time only two commodes functioned properly....

Anyhoo, yes it's been that long. The Tribe made it this year, with its second winning season since I graduated 18 years ago this month.

Yeah, I hate that we lost, but I'm not too upset about it. We made it. We freakin' made it. And that counts for a lot.

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge "Indian Joe decal still pasted on his heart" Gleck

2 comments:

bolivar said...

Hey Talmadge - I watched the last half of that game with about 5 blankets covering me trying to break a 103 temperature & the stomach virus. After picking on ASU for so many years, I have to give credit where credit is due - ASU played very tough. S. Miss. is a tough team, & the fact that ASU played toe-to-toe with them for 60 minutes is something that I am very proud of. It was a very competitive contest all the way to the end. I also think that the game could very well help in the recruiting process for ASU as well. Could the tide be turning in Arkansas? We'll see.

nettiemac said...

I was mightily impressed that they played toe-to-toe with USM as well as they did!!