05 July 2006

Eureka!!!

At last, I believe I have perfected my boiled peanut recipe!! After a couple of disastrous batches where I put too much salt in the mix (the recipe I was going by said 1.5 cups of salt for each pound of peanuts .... yeah, right!), I think I might've hit upon the perfect combination tonight.

It passed muster with my FIL, as much a B.P. connisseur as anyone from south Georgia .... ditto for my SIL and Seraphim.

In case anyone's interested, here's the secret (I'm no Colonel Sanders):

BOILED PEANUTS A LA GLECK

1.5-2 pounds of green peanuts (the bigger, the better; I'm fonder of the ones with white nuts inside than I am the smaller, red-nut goobers). These days, most grocery stores in the area have green peanuts in their produce sections. Yes, even our Stuporcenter.

3/4 cup regular table salt. Adjust accordingly if using greater quantities of peanuts.

Pour salt into bottom of large cooking pot. Empty peanuts into the pot. Fill pot about 2/3 full with warm to hot tap water.

Place the pot on the stove, with the burner set to full-tilt. Bring to a boil. Your payload should hit 212 degrees in about 10-15 minutes.

Once your peanuts are boiling, ease back on the burner, setting it to a good 7. Let sit boiling for at least 90 minutes. Stir from time to time, remembering the adage about "a watched pot...."

After about 90 minutes of berlin', pull out a peanut and check it out. If it's nice and soft, you're finished. If not, keep 'em going for awhile.

Give it a try if you want some good, hot and fresh boiled peanuts. Heaven knows anything's better than those (horrid) warmed-over boiled peanuts in a crock pot one sees in many a convenience store in these parts.

Enjoy!

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge "I Brake for Boiled Peanuts" Gleck

No comments: