23 March 2007

Kate/Susan tags Nettie who tags....

...ME!

Okay - here's the challenge I've been fronted with:
List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what they are. They must be songs you are currently enjoying. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

Seven songs, huh? The pressure is on. Yeah, the same "pressure" Charles Van Doren must've felt after Dan Enright gave him all the answers on Twenty-One. (which reminds me, I've been working on a country ballad: "I'm a Herbert Stempel in the Game Show of Life.")

Here's the W-GLECK "Hot 7" music survey (get a copy at your favorite record store):

1) (I KNOW) I'M LOSING YOU / The Faces (1971)
The Temptations originally did it, Rare Earth took this ball and ran with it, but with Rod Stewart up front, The Faces intercepted. Yes, Rod the Mod was covering other peoples' songs from day one. That I'll quickly grant you. So, what's the difference between his powerful remakes of "Losing", as well as the Stones' "Street Fighting Man", Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe", and the haunting remake of "Amazing Grace" ... and the more recent desecration interpretation of pop standards that leaves one craving the culture of Zamfir?

One word: Soul.

Oh yeah, the percussive ending of this song ranks as among my favorite moments of rock & roll. For best results, play on AM radio.

2) TELEGRAPH ROAD / Dire Straits (1982)
Mark Knopfler's tale about a road and how its character and look has changed over the years. This 14+ minute track opens up their Love Over Gold album, one of my favorites and a "desert island disc" during my senior year in high school. It fits in nicely with a lot of my thought patterns of late -- a constant entity (in this case, a road) and its change and decline, and thinking of what used to be.

[trivia: Remember Tina Turner's 1985 hit "Private Dancer"? Knopfler wrote it, and it was originally supposed to be recorded by Dire Straits for this album ... but at the last minute he wisely felt it would work better with a female voice]

And speaking of Mark Knopfler:

3) RAILROAD WORKSONG / Notting Hillbillies (1990)
A one-album wonder. The lineup consisted of Knopfler, along with Steve Phillips, Guy Fletcher and Brendan Croker. To hear it is to love it. I discovered Missing ... Presumed Having a Good Time too many years after the fact, after having heard the most Dire Straits-like song on the album, "Your Own Sweet Way." Our eclectic-flavored local station in Savannah plays it every now and again. I bought the album based on that track and got more than I bargained for. I expected more great neo-Straits music, but instead got a blend of rural Americana and Delta blues which did nothing but grow on me.

"Railroad Worksong" is a traditional selection and opens the album. Like several other songs, I've come to associate it with trips to the mountains. Missing... was a delightful soundtrack as we drove around the snowy countryside of Nicholas County, West Virginia.

4) ALMOST INDEPENDENCE DAY / Van Morrison (1972)
From his unsung masterpiece Saint Dominic's Preview. Ten minutes and three seconds which could've been three times that without a wasted moment. "Van the Man" has long been an integral part of our roadtrip library. Aw hell, I wonder if I could fudge a little and include the whole friggin' album??? "Listen to the Lion" is a kindred track, both of them suggesting a return to the introspective melancholy of 1969's Astral Weeks. And I could not do without "Jackie Wilson Said" or - perhaps my favorite of the shorter poppish Van tracks - "Redwood Tree."

The horn section VM used during the 1970-72 period laps at the grandeur of Al Green's "Memphis Horns."

5) WHO'LL BE THE FOOL TONIGHT / Larsen-Feiten Band (1980)
Barely a top 30 pop single, it brings back a time in my life where I was emerging from a period of darkness. There isn't much to it, except to say that it sounded very nice coming out of top-40 radio during the early Fall of '80 ... and that I loved it then, and love it now. Neo-California pop, for lack of a better pigeonhole. What say you, Nettie?

6) ME ABOUT YOU / The Lovin' Spoonful (1969)
One of the awesome things about collecting old "airchecks" (recordings made from radio stations) is hearing a long-forgotten song ... or one I'd never before heard. One such record I discovered on an early 1969 aircheck. It's a beautiful ballad, and a fur peece from more uptempo and lighthearted fare like "Do You Believe in Magic" and "Summer in the City." This was the Spoonful's last single release, and it made a brief poke-of-the-head through the Billboard "Hot 100" doorway, peaking at #91.

7) YOU, I / The Rugbys (1969)
If records had roommates, I imagine this one would've shared a pad with Bubble Puppy's "Hot Smoke and Sassafras" from the same year. Both were three-minute bombastic pieces of psychedelic beauty, being played on top-40 radio alongside the likes of "Sweet Caroline" and whatever piece of watered-down 'countrypolitan' dreck Glen Campbell had on the chart.

The ending, baby. The ending.

*********
So there you are. In no particular order.

And since I have to tag a few people to keep this chain going, I shall do so forthwith. Nettiemac has already tagged many of 'em, but that won't stop me from piling on a twofer-tag. So there.
  • Seraphim. Because I'm always kept on my toes as to what I'll find coming out of her MP3 player. The other week at the Y, I was amazed to find my wonderful bride being serenaded with Led Zeppelin's classic "Kashmir."

  • Bolivar. Then again, I don't know. He's not too much into music.

  • Did I mention Bolivar?

  • And a couple of others who I know read this blog: Fred, Michael, and - maybe - Paula.

  • That makes five. Six if I can count Bolivar twice. Okay, how about my son Tiger?
Ciao for niao.

--TAlmadge "It" Gleck

No comments: