04 July 2007

To Sleep, Perchance To ---- damn these wires!

Ahhhhhh, it's 5:37 a.m. in the lovely quietness that is Rincon, Georgia. The bank clock near the sleep clinic indicated 64 degrees. It felt damn good outside -- very un-July-like weather!

I was discharged from "Hotel Southeast" after something resembling a good night's sleep. Remember in my last post, when I said I could fall asleep anywhere? Better make that "almost anywhere." I did sleep, and had no trouble falling asleep, even with my body feeling like the back of all my audio components.

The problem was waking up -- I believe I did more than a few times, and honestly I don't know whether I had insomnia (very rare with me!), or if I was in a quasi-awakened state. I didn't dream so much as I felt like a central office dealing with other parts of my body going through their own studies. At some point I remember giving a "passing" grade to my left arm.

What got in the way of a good night's sleep were all the freakin' wires. I was afraid that if I so much as moved in that bed, that I'd pull out one or more of 'em. I felt quite tethered to my position in there, so I was limited in assuming a perfectly comfortable position. Usually I like sleeping on my back -- but at home I also don't have more wires comin' out of me than hairs remaining on my head, either!

I know I got sleep, though. I just hope I had enough for them to judge it, so I won't have to go back for another one anytime soon. That was some mighty yecch'y paste they used to attach the nodes to my scalp -- it was a bitch to wash out!!

If I wrap this up now, I can manage to cop a mini-sleep in our own bed. What a concept. And best of all, I don't have to put a lot of gooey gunk in my hair; I swear, when I left there I felt as if I'd fallen asleep in the middle of a kindergarten arts and crafts project!

Ciao for *yawn* niao.

--Talmadge "Sleep Scholar" Gleck

3 comments:

nettiemac said...

How did it go? What did they say?
Enquiring minds want to know!

Talmadge G. said...

Enquiring minds (myself included) won't know until Thursday, when I have my follow-up appointment with the sleep doctor.

"The Sleep Doctor." Just the sound of that is quite unsettling.....

-TG

PS: Lordy, my verification is "uabcp" .... that's a person with Cerebral Palsy who attends college in downtown Birmingham.

Seraphim9 said...

He may have CP.....but at least he's not Dee D'Dee!

(You knew that was coming, didn't you Tal?) ;-)