11 November 2007

Introducing ... The Blogger With Prestige

Our visit yesterday "north of the river" reminded the missus and me of all the pretentious growth that's taken root in the lowest-of-the-lowcountry.

The stretch of US-278 between I-95 and Hilton Head Island is fast becoming a monument to upper-crust retirement exhibitionism. Golfing communities. Planned cities (such as Tradition, South Carolina -- supposedly an actual town). Uppity gated neighborhoods.

And most of them, like the sheep they are, have the same kind of naming scheme:

The Links At Fox Hunt Crossing
The Shoppes At Deer Run Cove
The Mansions At Plutocracy Pointe

The Slums (Slummes?) At Ghetto Chase Ridge

Seraphim and I have a name for those kind of places: THE-ATs.

Frankly, I'm jealous. And it got me to thinking. What's stopping a couple of middle-class schmucks from doing the same thing??!!

So, in light of this epiphany, I bring you:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a tee-time at 1:30 a.m. Don't laugh; it was all I could afford.

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge Gleckke, Esq.

2 comments:

nettiemac said...

I love "The-Ats" ..... we have some new stuff like that (next time you're up, I'll have to show you). That's hilarious!

Kate/Susan said...

I hope I'm not too late to put down a deposit?

Everything up here sounds vaguely geographically militaristic. I think I'd prefer "the Ats". :-)