13 January 2008

33 down, 17 to go!

The 1977 "Out West" trip was the genesis of a lifelong goal of mine: to set foot in all 50 states.

31 years later, here's how I'm doing:

(source = http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates)

Most recent 'new states' came during our Pittsburgh junket in September of '06 (Ohio, Pennsylvania).

This list would number 35 were it not for certain parental units who refused to make a one-mile (!) detour so I could've logged Minnesota. And twice (!) we came within spitting distance of Montana, but Dad wouldn't make the diversion.

If I could go back in time, I'd whisper into my 1979 ear, "Tell Dad that a JOHN WAYNE statue is two miles away in Minnesota."

And that a Civil War battlefield site was in Montana. Yeah. THEN he'd make the side trip. Hmph.

I lack 17 states. I don't think I'm going to make Hawaii, though. Truth be told, I'd just as soon never set foot in an airplane ever again. Especially after 9/11.

So what states have you visited?

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge "Road Scholar" Gleck

No comments: