07 August 2008

"How hot WAS it??!!"

It was so hot that just being outside automatically qualifies as "activity points."

Yesterday (Wednesday, 08/06), the high temp reached 103° at the Savannah airport, breaking the previous record of 101. And in Effingham County it was said to have reached 105.

Today the temperature was on its way to an encore -- it was over 100 already by 2:00! I'm at home "teleworking" (although I actually got the bulk of my editing workload done late last night -- went to bed about 4 AM). I went outside with the compressor to air up the flat tire, and then went over to Randy & Rhonda's and had it patched up.

Time spent: less than 10 minutes.
Service: Exceptional. They took time out and took care of it, and didn't put me in line behind the big jobs.
Cost: $8.50. Higher than that garage in Eclectic, Ala., but it's cheaper than Wal-Mart. No gripes.
Having a good auto service business less than a mile from our house: Priceless.

I don't know what the hell this is, but it was a thorn in the side of Rupert's left rear Continental.

Soon afterward, the weather turned vicious. For a few minutes (as I was in Wal-Mart ... I figured as long as I can't get any work done, I might as well get in some "activity" walking) the wind kicked up to at least a good 50-60 MPH. It looked positively tornadic out there for a couple of minutes.

The good news was, Seraphim's plants got a good bath. The even better news was, the temperature went from 101° on Rupert's thermometer down to 74° in short order. Right now, at 533 PM, the WeatherBug icon reads 77°.

That's about it. Now back to work!

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge "Inflated" Gleck

9 comments:

Kate/Susan said...

That looks painful. I hope you got him a tetanus shot.

Talmadge Gleck said...

But ... wouldn't the needle put yet another hole in the tire?? ;-)

nettiemac said...

Yeah, I don't know what that is either, but glad Rupert's all better now!

Kate/Susan said...

not if you use your magic needles it wouldn't. ;-)

Word Verification: Oilelmlp

Oil 'im up!

Talmadge Gleck said...

Ohhhhh, the MAGIC NEEDLES.

Why didn't you say so??

(Now where the @#$% did I put those?)

Kate/Susan said...

Probably in your phonograph.

Talmadge Gleck said...

*hits forehead*

D'OH!!!!!

Kate/Susan said...

I think I'm done being clever now. :-)

Talmadge Gleck said...

I'm not.

I found the magic needle. Indeed, it was within my trusty Technics SL-QD33 turntable.

I used it, but I rotated the tire backwards and I heard praise for Satan.

*rimshot*