09 October 2008

CDs, LPs, WWs

Swung by the Southside Weight Watchers center this evening after work, and did a drive-by weigh-in. Yeah, let's take a look at the collateral fallout from the recent orgy.

The scale said: -0.2. Well, it didn't actually "say" it; those scales, while pretty fancy and all, lack your basic larynx. But anyway.

I'm convinced a lot of that was "banked" from last Wednesday. As you might remember, I registered my first gain (+0.8). Then the next morning, I was down more than a pound ... and well toward two pounds by Saturday morning.

I guess for the next three weeks it's going to be mighty suspenseful getting on that scale.

As for today, I'm pretty much back in the swing. 37 points, right on the nose.

*********
And music. I did indeed spend some wampum at Charlemagne in Birmingham ... however, the selection wasn't as impressive as in years past. I ended up spending right at $60 in there, leaving me $40. And most of that was nuked a little while ago at Silly Mad CDs, netting a total of three bucks and change.

As I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat wondering just what in tarnation I bought, I shall quell that burning curiosity, heretoforewith:

It was a Van Morrison orgy, baby! I had four (4) of Van The Man's albums remaining on my want list, and three of them left Charlemagne with Talmadge: Into the Music (1979), Common One (1980) and Beautiful Vision (1982). That leaves just one studio rekkid to find: The Philosopher's Stone. Those albums aren't easy to find at your average Best Buy or FYE (@#$%, You're Expensive!). Alas, the Van albums at Charlemagne were all new -- there were no used copies around, so those were $12.99 per each. Ahhh, but not a wasted note.

For the rest of my booty, I bought a few LPs: Ringo Starr's first (of two) for ATLANTIC, Ringo's Rotogravure, featuring his modest 1976 single "A Dose of Rock 'N' Roll." (trivia: no less than Dr. John and Peter Frampton played on that song) It also had Ringo's cover of "Hey Baby" ... passable, but not worth his drumsticks.

Second, another Robin Trower LP to cross off the list - one of two I lacked with bassist/vocalist James Dewar - was 1977's In City Dreams (leaving Victims of the Fury as the only Trower/Dewar album left on my want list). Lately I've been hooked on Trower ... his guitar sound is hard to describe, except to say that maybe - just maybe - it's a bit Hendrix-esque, but great to listen to while in a laid-back mood. And I like Dewar's vocals a lot.

And then we have The Stills/Young Band LP from 1976 entitled Long May You Run. I have that general family tree loaded in a playlist labeled "Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young (Or Any Combination Thereof)."

Then tonight at Silly Mad, I sunk $37 and change on the following:
1) Chris Isaak - Speak of the Devil (1998). Good guitar, great voice, and a nice, dark sound. Typical Isaak.
2) Blues Traveler - Travelers & Thieves (1991). More for Seraphim, although I like my share of BT. I enjoy 'em especially on our road trip vacations.
3) A Quiet Normal Life: The Best of Warren Zevon (1986). Terribly and tragically underrated singer-songwriter who left us too early. "Werewolves of London" was just the peak of an incredible mountain of music.

And two vinyl LPs on top of it:
1) Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear (1976). Proto new age. And stop drooling, Bolivar.
2) The Korgis - Dumb Waiters (1980). One-hit wonders who gave top-40 radio a marvelous (and largely forgotten) McCartney-esque hit single in the Fall of '80, "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime." Bought the LP grooves unheard. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Yes, music to get me back on the wagon. And my running total is now -42.4 pounds.

Ciao for niao.

--Talmadge "A Quirky Abnormal Life" Gleck

1 comment:

nettiemac said...

GOOD for you!!! Like I said, give yourself a couple more weeks to let things fall out to a more reasonable thing. You may also find that a RARE splurge like that ends up doing you a world of good.

Good for you, buddy! I'm proud!